Soooooo I saw this over at Liam’s blog @ Liam’s Library and I thought it would be fun to do. Plus it’s Christmas and it suits the season, but really, I’m doing this because it’s bookish and looks like a heap of fun lol. I’m also tagging Sam @ Poison For The Senses!!!
1. Half of the lights on the Christmas tree are burnt out – Name a book/series/character that started out well and then went downhill.
I can name several characters and book series that began really well and then fizzled into that pile of I-can’t-wait-for-this-to-be-over. The series that comes to mind is Delirium. I thought Book 1 was great, Pandemonium okay, but then Requiem…Requiem didn’t do it for me. And I was disappointed. Luckily, it looks good on my shelf. As for characters, Saba from Blood Red Road disappointed me. I love how she began, really I did. I loved her voice, I loved her character, and I loved how she met Jack. It was practically perfect to me, but then….as Blood Red Road went on my image of her was kind of shaken, and then in the sequel, Rebel Heart she really disappointed me as a character. I suppose what she went through in that book could have been called growth if only it wasn’t done the way it had been. But I guess I still have to read Raging Star to really say that she was a character that burnt out in the end.
2. Annoying relatives won’t leave you alone – Name a book that you did not enjoy but everyone else seems to love, and it will not stop haunting you.
Twilight? But that has an even share of lovers and haters. Hmmm, I can’t really think of a novel that falls into this category for the moment….
3. Your pets keep knocking over your Christmas decorations – Name a character that kept on messing everything up for everyone.
Duke. Duke in Pivot Point. For a moment, I almost couldn’t think of a character, but then it hit me, this guy! This guy was a complete jerk, and what I loved about his character creation is that Kasie makes him both slightly vulnerable, but still a complete and utter jerk! And then there’s the fact that he never seems to be able to stop butting in on Addie’s love life or life in general….
4. You hear your parents putting presents out and learn that Father Christmas is not real – Name a book you were spoiled for.
This is hard since I’m one of those weird ones who absolutely love spoilers and use them as bait to lure myself into reading the book (most likely a book I can’t bring myself to read even though I’ve been wanting to read it forever). I’m one of those terrible people who read the last page of books too just for the fun of it. But let’s see, there’s bound to be a book where I haven’t wanted it spoiled and yet it was spoiled for me. Let’s see…it seems…I cannot think of one!
5. It’s freezing outside – Name a character you just couldn’t warm to.
I absolutely COULD NOT WARM UP to Raine in Surrender. She was just so annoying? I guess I tried to sympathise with her, but half the time I couldn’t get a sense of personality or character from her even though she so evidently displayed a sense of personality. It dragged, reading from her perspective, and I just skimmed most of the book because I could not take it any more.
6. Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’ is being played a lot on the radio, giving you anti-romantic feelings – Name a couple that you just could not stand.
Charlie and Max in The Pledge by Kimberly Derting was definitely a couple I could not stand. Sure the premise made promises that interested me, plot and romance-wise, but the delivery…I really cannot, for the life of me, understand Charlie and Max. Having a small part of the story told from Max’s perspective as well…well, it didn’t help me understand how these two people could be together still from an instalove connection. I felt nothing for the pair of them, and felt nothing between them even though they sometimes resembled an old couple!!! Just without the gush-worthy attraction and chemistry between them.
7. The scratchy homemade jumper that you got for Christmas years ago but have never worn – A book that has been sitting on your shelf for years that you are not motivated to read, but do not have the heart to get rid of.
Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers. When I first got it, I was a kid under 10. There was no way I would be able to sit through and read such a dense book, sadly, I have yet not had the courage to pick it up and read it even though it’s been on my shelf for so long.
8. Grandma has gotten run over by a reindeer – Name a character death that you are still mad about.
Hmm….tough one because I won’t lie, though I might be sad about a character death, I usually think it’s better for the story. Even so, there’s always going to be one that bothered me. Okay, so I got one. And even though I think it’s for the story and whatnot, I’m still a little peeved about it because it happened and even after being such a prominent and important character, it was left somewhat unaddressed after the fact. Spoilers: Cinder’s death in Into The Still Blue.
9. Shops are overcrowded with shoppers for the holidays – Name a series with too many books, or that went on too long
Hmm…the only series I’m reading that has a large number of books in it is The Dresden Files but I love it and definitely look forward to each sequel. It’s the longest series I’m reading, and really…I usually hate following a long series. Omg I just thought of a series that I have given up on following simply because I got tired of how many installments there are. Touch by Laurie Faria Stolarz. Oh…I just realised something….there are only five books at the moment, I thought there were seven or roundabouts…whoops. Not very long but I lost interest about book 4? It just wasn’t that engaging.
10. The Grinch – Name a main character that you absolutely hate (not a villain).
Funny, I want to say I don’t hate her, because I don’t really, but this is the only character I think of that hasn’t been mentioned yet, but can actually remember as disliking greatly. Mary in Burn for Burn by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian. At first I was sympathetic, but then when I got to book 2 (Fire with Fire) I started really disliking her alot. Yet I love how well her character was formed. But still…her character in Fire with Fire was a little annoying.